Sep 29, 2006

Planes of the Face

I have been studying the planes that construct the structures of the face. From the boxing flesh that makes the folds of the eye to the truncated boxes that form the nose, lips, cheeks, chin and head. Really notice how light will roll over the forehead creating a value-scale of flesh. What about the eyes and how they sit in a very well defined 'flowering pot' like structure. See the following two images:


In my experience of mastering these planes my mind has been going through that phenomena where you become aware of something and you begin to see it everywhere. Like a friends new car, seem the same kind of car is suddenly everywhere you look. So it is with the planes that form the face.

Two quick examples of this craziness. The first one was the other day when I went to the movies to see the Illusionist, starring Edward Norton. (I highly recommend this movie!) On the big screen the close up shots of the heads are like 7 feet tall. So it was easy to see the lines, planes, values and textures that form the structures of the eyes; as well as other structures of the face. So this 'awareness' phenomena was quite distracting.... but very much appreciated.

The second example, came during a passionate, fresh tasting, latin kiss. As I was making love to the lips of my Evelyn, the sunlight came in like a bird and perched on her ear. The light molded the ear and revealed the planes that made her ear so. I got distracted from that kiss by the revealing of the design and form of her ear; I just busted out laughing at my foolishness. I am astonished that Beauty continues to intimately unveil her Designs to me... even through my Evelyn's little Guatemalan ear. So again... what a distraction... but very much appreciated.

No comments: