Mar 13, 2006

Value

Wow... it has been awhile since my last blog. I have been tackling one of my weakness skills in my draftsmanship.... Value. Without a strong grasp of value an artist can’t paint. For the last 12 years I have focused my attention on developing my line. I am confident in my lines. I can make them sing, dance, direct and communicate. For the last few months I have been trying to support my lines with oil paint. My problem is that I keep "painting" and since one needs to understand value to successfully paint and value happens to be a weakness of mine... this causes my paintings to simply suck! Yeah, maybe to others the paintings are nice, good or even great. But I think what makes my paintings at this time "seem" successful is the lines, not the painting. I will continue, and I am confidence that my value awareness will become very sharp. And the marriage between my lines and value will birth the style that I long for.

No comments: